AWANA is a Bible club which focuses on telling the Good News of Jesus Christ to children. The Bible tells us that this whole world lies in wickedness, but that because of His rich mercy, grace, kindness and love, God has provided a perfect way of salvation through what His eternal Son, Jesus Christ, did on our behalf, as our substitute.
Jesus commanded His disciples:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen (Matthew 28:19-20).
This is what the goal of AWANA is – to teach little children the Gospel message of salvation by repentance and faith in the Person and perfect, finished work of Jesus Christ. The AWANA curriculum we use goes systematically through the Old and New Testaments, teaching children about:
- God’s perfect creation
- Adam and Eve’s voluntary and deliberate rebellion from God
- The curse of sin on the earth and on all mankind
- The story of God’s promised redemption through His eternal Son, Jesus Christ
- The story of God’s choosing of the Israelites, through the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
- The story of the nation of Israel
- The incarnation of Jesus Christ and the message of the Gospel
- The mission of the Christian church
- The reality of our sin and God’s holiness
- The only way of salvation
- And more . . .
A typical AWANA night is divided into three sections:
- A 25-minute lesson time
- A 25-minute small group session, where clubbers complete a worksheet about the lesson, memorize a passage of Scripture, and talk about what the lesson means
- A 25-minute game time, with snacks
If you have a child in your life in grades K-6, then we’d love to have them join us in AWANA to learn all about the great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, and the Good News He suffered and died to bring to all of us.